Article

St. Nicholas Abbey

St. Nicholas Abbey (St. Peter Parish) – located in the northeast part of the island (on the borderline between St. Peter and St. Andrew Parishes – near Cherry Tree Hill), this is just one of three intact Jacobean plantation houses left in the Americas, and this is the only one open to the public.  Nicely […]

Article

Speightstown

Speightstown (St. Peter Parish) – located on the northwest coast of Barbados (12 miles north of Bridgetown), this was the first major port and commercial center on the island.  Because of its one-time direct commercial links to Bristol (UK), it was previously nicknamed “Little Bristol”.  Falling into neglect in previous times, it’s been refurbished in […]

Article

Sir Frank Hutson Sugar Museum

Sir Frank Hutson Sugar Museum (Portvale Sugar Factory, near Highway 2A, Holetown, St. James Parish) – this museum is a permanent record of how sugar was produced in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. The museum now stands a tribute to Sir Frank Hutson, who with assistance from the Barbados National Trust, collected the items in […]

Article

Sam Lord’s Castle

Sam Lord’s Castle (St. Philip Parish) — Sam Lord’s Castle was a beautiful Georgian mansion built in 1820 by the notorious buccaneer Samuel Hall Lord, known as ‘Sam Lord’.  Legend has it that Sam Lord acquired his wealth by plundering ships, which he lured onto the reefs off the coast, by hanging lanterns in the […]

Article

National Armory y St. Ann’s Fort

National Armory and St. Ann’s Fort (access via Barbados Defense Force HQ, Bridgetown, St. Michael Parish) – this is now home to the world’s finest collection of 17th century English cannons (such as the Commonwealth Cannon of 1652 — one of only two known to still exist).  An area worthy of being a movie set, […]

Article

Lancaster Great House

Lancaster Great House (Lancaster, St. James Parish) — this art & cultural center is surrounded by lush gardens — where the aesthetic impulses of man and nature meet.  Here, the first floor of a beautifully restored Georgian-Regency plantation house serves as an elegant gallery for some of Barbados’ most interesting art exhibits.  Workshops and an […]

Article

Ilaro Court

Ilaro Court (2 Mile Hill, Bridgetown, St. Michael Parish) – this is the official residence of the Prime Minister of Barbados.   This coral limestone-built residence, like many other refurbished plantation style homes, boasts a wealth of antiques and records alike.  The unusual name “Ilaro” came from the name of the town in Nigeria where a […]

Article

Grenade Hall Forest and Signal Station

Grenade Hall Forest and Signal Station (Farley Hill, St. Peter Parish) — Both history and nature lovers will appreciate a visit to Grenade Hall, an attraction which combines a restored historic signal station and a natural forest. In fact it’s really a three-in-one attraction since one entry fee gains admission to both Grenade Hall and […]

Article

George Washington’s House

George Washington House (The Garrison Savannah, Bridgetown, St. Michael) – the man who became America’s first president, George Washington, spent two months here as a young man in 1751.  While there, he caught smallpox and was cured by local doctors’ innovative treatment. His resulting immunity enabled him to continue leading his revolution when others were […]

Article

Garrison Drill Hall

Garrison Drill Hall (Bridgetown, St. Michael Parish) — Built in 1790, the building was originally used as soldiers’ barracks. In 1822 it was remodeled for use as an Armory and, in 1881, it became the headquarters for the Garrison. It was purchased by the government in 1905 and used as gymnasium and frill hall for […]